Article from Adventures In Life Design
One of the ways we get off track in life is when we stop living our truth.
What does “living your truth” mean?
It simply means living your life from your authentic core. It means being who you really are, acknowledging and facing your true feelings, and being honest with yourself…about yourself. It’s about embracing your own foibles and weaknesses while at the same time having the courage to strive to live your highest vision of yourself.
Why is living your truth important?
Because when you deny your truth, you betray yourself. You dishonor our own nature and dismiss your own judgment. You undermine your ability to create a fulfilling and meaningful life.
Here are some of the ways that you can deny your truth:
- Trying to be someone other than who you really are
- Settling for less than what you really want
- Not allowing yourself to feel what you really feel, or pretending to feel something when you really don’t
- Trying to behave in a certain way to gain the approval of others
- Saying “yes” when you really want to say “no”
- Agreeing to do something you don’t want to do because you are afraid that people won’t like you if you say no
- Spreading yourself too thin by taking on way too many obligations
- Not setting healthy boundaries
- Continuing with relationships that are badly mismatched, one-sided, toxic or dead
- Saying “no” when you really want to say “yes”
- Denying your own deepest yearnings, needs, and values
- Doing what you believe you’re “supposed” to do instead of what you really want to do
- Not pursuing your true dreams and aspirations
- Not honoring your passions, preferences and inclinations
- Not engaging in hobbies or activities that you are really interested in because you are afraid of being ridiculed or laughed at
- Not living where you really want to live
- Working at a soul-deadening job
- Neglecting your body and ignoring your health
- Starving your soul
- Ignoring your mental and emotional well-being
- Allowing yourself to get burned out
- Taking yourself too seriously and not allowing yourself to have enough play or fun
Do any of these sound familiar? If so, which ones trip you up most often? Which ones are your toughest challenges?
What are you willing to do today to start living your truth?